Tuesday, March 2, 2010

~Just call me...the trash lady~

For a little over a week now I have been complaining about all the trash that has accumulated along the sides of the road of 151st street. Over the weekend I thought about going out and picking it all up myself but didn't want anyone I knew to see me and think I was picking up all the aluminum cans for some extra shopping money ;). I'm not a big fan of the dark or wild animals so going to collect the trash at night wasn't an option either. Since I travel the road between our home and Maple many many times during the day I simply just decided to stop being mad about the situation and do something about it.
So, this afternoon I set out with A trash bag in hand to pick up the trash. I only made it half way before the bag was completely full of trash...fast food cups, beer cans, liquor bottles, a used can of aerosol whipped cream (and I don't EVEN want to know why that was lying along the side of the road), and much much more. I turned around to head back home to get another bag clearly not realizing how darn heavy that trash would end up weighing! I dropped off my first batch of junk and set out again.
I passed an older man who was walking and he thanked me for what I was doing. That was right before a car load of teenage boys(driving way too fast) whistled at me as they sped by. I would love for them to know I'm old enough to be their mom...well, maybe step-mom! I filled the second bag completely full in no time at all. What is wrong with people really??? How can one just roll down their car window and throw trash out without feeling a little bit of guilt??!! The good news is I earned some MAJOR recycle points =)

2 comments:

  1. Awwe, so cool of you! Way to follow through!

    We should get you your very own "This mile is kept clean thanks to..." sign to put on the side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaa jess, lets make one and post it on the corner of maple and 151st!!

    about those recycle points...have they panned out for you guys?

    ReplyDelete